Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Anniversary

It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemia. I remember how terrified my 12 year old daughter was to hear the word “cancer”. I also remember, within a few days she accepted the reality and started to tackle each day with strength, faith, hope, and kindness. That’s when we took this picture together. From the beginning we were not going to let cancer ruin us, but instead allow the experience to enrich our lives. (Her story from the beginning is written at ashtynsarmy.blogspot.com.)



2013 she was first diagnosed with leukemia, got into remission, and received a bone marrow transplant. 2016 she relapsed, got into remission, and received her 2nd BMT. 2018 she relapsed again, got into remission, and received a 3rd BMT. I’ve been asked why three transplants are so extremely rare. It’s complicated but simply put: Most leukemia patients don’t require a BMT with their first diagnosis. Ashtyn’s leukemia cells did not respond to her very first month of chemotherapy which indicated the need for a BMT once she was in remission. The fact that she then relapsed after a first and then again after a second BMT is also rare. Most remarkable, leukemia cells become more and more difficult to kill with each relapse but Ashtyn beat the odds again and again, getting cancer free for a 3rd time allowing her to receive a 3rd transplant, which is almost unheard of. She really has done what almost no one has done.

January 30th 2013 will always be the anniversary of when it all began. This date is one that I do not dread or meet with anxiety. Instead it’s a day I can’t help but feel amazed as I contemplate all that has occurred. I’m touched to think of the many hearts and hands who have impacted and enriched our lives. I’m humbled to think of the countless people who care deeply for Ashtyn. My heart is full of warmth thinking of the wonderful hospital staff we’ve met over the years who continue to cheer her on. All the good I’ve seen during the past 6 years fills my heart with such awe and gratitude that there’s hardly room enough to feel the sufferings of the past.







1 comment:

Anniversary

It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...