Monday, February 19, 2018

Life Balances Itself Out

The day after finding out Ashtyn relapsed we left for Las Vegas, a get-away we do each President's Day weekend planned around a yearly cheer competition Morgan performs in. It was perfect timing this year because it gave us time and space to process the news. It's not easy coming to grips with the reality that cancer is back. Ashtyn, Morgan, and I flew home yesterday from Las Vegas while the rest of the family stayed one more day. Chandler wanted to watch his favorite team, the Anaheim Ducks, play one more hockey game before heading on his mission and they happened to play the Vegas Golden Knights Monday night. I originally had planned to watch the game with my boys and drive home Tuesday while Ashtyn and Morgan flew home Monday for school but with Ashtyn's lack of white blood cells and platelets, I thought it would be best to miss the game and stick with the girls. Speaking of low white blood cells and platelets, right now you would never guess Ashtyn is sick by just looking at her. We have been grateful that she has remained healthy while we wrap up this week. With close to zero white blood cells, the cells responsible for fighting infections, she is definitely more susceptible to getting sick. We have put that fact on the back burner and have been greatly blessed with good health. Her platelet count, cells that help clot blood, is also quite low. I would bet she's near the range of needing a platelet transfusion but her cells are staying steady for the moment, allowing us this time to not only send Chandler off on his mission but to also gear up for the fight in front of us. 

Yesterday was also my birthday, a day I tend to reflect on the year prior. My 42nd year was colorful and eventful starting off with Ashtyn being cancer free, stayed in the hospital 50 days straight for a second bone marrow transplant, and while she was recovering traveled a lot as I felt that was the right thing to do. I'm now looking to the year ahead of me knowing I will be fighting cancer along side Ashtyn, writing letters to Chandler who will be in Orlando, and supporting Morgan and Ethan as they learn more life lessons. Through the years I have noticed that life has a way of balancing itself out and I certainly feel ahead on the blessed scale. Even though my 43rd year is sure to be full of ups and downs, it seems the good has always outweighed the bad so I don't suspect this year will be any different.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Anniversary

It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...