My name is Ashtyn. I am 17 years old and from Salt Lake City, Utah. Five years ago, on January 30th 2013, I was shocked to learn I had a rare, high risk cancer called "Acute Undifferentiated Leukemia." After four months of treatment, I was able to get into remission and received a bone marrow transplant. After being healthy for 3 1/2 years, the cancer returned on October 9th 2016. After another five months of treatment, I was cancer free again and went through a different type of bone marrow transplant that I was sure would prevent cancer from coming back again. In November 2017, I was nominated as a candidate for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Students of the Year Campaign. It was a chance for me to give back to a cause that had saved my life. Later, on February 14th 2018, less than a month before my campaign was to begin, I was devastated and terrified to find out I have relapsed again. I am now in Seattle participating in a phase 1 clinical study of a medication called Venetoclax with hopes that it will get me into remission, giving me a chance at a third different type of bone marrow transplant to rid my body of leukemia for good. At the same time I am receiving the study drug and participating in cancer research, I am still working to raise money through LLS to help cure cancer. My campaign runs for seven weeks, from March 7th- April 28th 2018. I have another long road ahead of me with the understanding that this is my last chance to beat cancer. I have high hopes that I will beat the odds and survive knowing that statistically my prognosis is slim. My wish is that in years to come, people won’t have to worry about losing their lives to this horrible disease. I have decided to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in honor of all of my friends who have either beat cancer, are currently fighting, or have lost their battle. I cannot do this alone, I need your help.
I am writing to ask you to support my campaign through a corporate sponsorship or a normal donation of any amount. Corporate Sponsorships for Students of the Year start at $3500 and offer benefits at the Grand Finale Gala on Saturday, April 28th at The Marriott at University Park. Sponsorship also adds to my team’s total and helps me compete for the title of Student of the Year.
LLS’s work is changing the lives of 1.2 million Americans living with a blood cancer. In addition, the treatments that LLS is funding also benefit all cancer patients because more than 40% of new cancer treatment drugs approved by the FDA since 2004 started as blood cancer drugs. I’m also excited to raise money knowing LLS gives 77% of all donations to services that directly help patients and further research. Please consider donating to this amazing cause at http://events.lls.org/ut/ saltlakesoy2018/aPoulsen Any amount is greatly appreciated. Please please please donate and share this post to help me meet my goal.
(This is a picture of me in November 2017)
No comments:
Post a Comment