Wednesday, April 25, 2018

A Mom's Focus

From the time we arrived in Seattle on March 5th, everyday has been non-stop. It's both exhausting and energizing. Each day is different. Some days are busy with a medical focus. Yesterday was busy with more of a typical mom focus. Ashtyn and Ethan wanted cheesesteak sandwiches for lunch at a particular place in Seattle. Requests are not uncommon and I do what I can to comply. I headed out of the hospital at 3:00 p.m., drove 10 miles in 45 minutes, picked up the food, on my way back stopped at Safeway for wrapping paper, tape, and scissors, stopped at the Ronald McDonald House to pick up gifts for Chandler, went into the hospital carrying all my items, wrapped the presents, did laundry, drove to UPS in the nick of time for Chandler's birthday box to arrive in Florida on his big day April 30th, returned to the hospital where more laundry was done, and finally got a shower in at 11:00 p.m. Some may think I need a break but I really wouldn't want to be anywhere else. This cancer fight will be for a short moment and I don't want to miss any of it. Everyday I'm inspired by not only Ashtyn but one person after another who are anxiously engaged in a good cause. The service and love given to my family by hospital staff, Seattle locals, those in Salt Lake City, family, friends, and strangers is extremely uplifting and it makes everything worth going through. 

I thought about Chandler all day today. That's not uncommon. I must have four compartments in my heart, one for Chandler, one for Ashtyn, one for Morgan, and one for Ethan. Chandler's in Florida. His 19th birthday is Monday. I'm super excited for him to receive his birthday presents and hope he feels how much he's loved. I don't think he receives much mail. If you'd be willing to send him a card, I know he'd deeply appreciate it. 

Chandler Poulsen 
1545 Marden Ridge Loop Apt# 306 Apopka, Florida 32703








No comments:

Post a Comment

Anniversary

It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...