Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Unpredictability And Cancer Go Hand In Hand
Yesterday did not end up how I thought it would, but unpredictability is a partner to cancer. Throughout Sunday and Sunday night, nerve pain was impossible to manage. At Ronald McDonald House, she took the strong narcotic Dilaudid as well as a 1:1 tincture of CBD and THC, both recommended by her doctors and both provided little relief. I also gave her Tylenol and Benadryl hoping something would help. Nothing. We kept thinking the pain would improve when really it just got worse and worse and eventually took away her ability to walk and function. At 8:00 a.m. on Monday I called the oncology clinic to let them know she needed to be admitted. We took the suitcases that were packed the night before and headed to the hospital. In an attempt to lessen pain immediately, a couple doses of IV Dilaudid were given which had zero effect on bringing comfort. By noon she was in a hospital room and by 1:30 p.m. the pain team had a plan. Gabapentin was stopped and another nerve pain medication called Pregabalin was added. She was hooked up to monitors and a continual low dose infusion of Katamine was started, which is an analgesia drug that’s known to help neuropathic pain. While those drugs continue to take effect, oral Dilaudid is used with the occasional IV Dilaudid when needed. After 16 hours in the hospital, pain gradually came down from a 8/9 to anywhere between 5-7. Her legs continue to be weak and painful requiring help to walk but we are relieved to see some progress. I’m impressed with how Ashtyn has handled it all. Though I personally have felt some frustration and sadness, she has never gotten down on God, complained, or wanted a pity party. She quietly endures with remarkable grace, patience, and strength. I’m really proud of her. My friends flew back to Salt Lake City. I will forever be grateful to them. Ethan is staying in Seattle with us and is our sunshine. Please pray she remains healthy in the hospital.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Anniversary
It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...
-
My friends daughter interviewed Ashtyn for a paper she had to write. I thought I’d share: Questions for Ashtyn: 1. What type of cancer ...
-
Before going home tomorrow, I need to write about our main man in Seattle, Ashtyn’s oncologist Dr. Adam Lamble! Adam is not only brilliant b...
-
The medical field amazes me with how much is understood despite how complicated and intricate the body is. For the last several days someth...

No comments:
Post a Comment