Sunday, August 19, 2018

BMT Day 13

Ashtyn’s body made some impressive steps in the right direction. Previous to today, pain was a huge problem but now it’s all but gone. Just the day before she was on a continuous pain narcotic called Dilaudid and now rarely needs pain medications at all. Previous to today, muscle weakness was bizarre. She couldn’t use a muscle without it suddenly collapsing. The thought of even holding a cup was not going to happen let alone sitting up. Tonight she sat up on her own for over five minutes without a problem and collapsing muscles were non existent. Previous to tonight she’s been on 2 liters of oxygen with very little ability to breathe deeply or cough. Tonight oxygen is no longer needed. For over a week, sleep has been such a struggle for Ashtyn. I am exhausted, and my body isn’t going through what hers is, so I can only imagine how exhausted she must be. Instead of sleeping, her brain is not allowing her to sleep. It is a type of delirium that no medication can help. Tonight she actually fell asleep. I would love to hear more deep breathing sleep from her because it’s music to my hears. I hope good sleep will continue. I’m not sure how pain, muscle failure, oxygen needs, and insomnia all nearly vanished within a day. In addition to prayers, I do know that there is a fight within Ashtyn that can not be smothered by any limitations her body has. When a muscle fails, she tries again. When her brain processes thoughts slowly, she’ll keep trying to get the words out. When she throws up medications, she’ll take them again. When it’s easiest to do nothing, she will do whatever is asked of her and more. She does not quit no matter how delirious, disoriented, sick, uncomfortable, or worn out she is. There is no stopping this girl. Please pray 1. she will become more alert and oriented. 2. she will sleep restfully and normally. 3. her transplant will engraft as soon as possible.

Facetiming Uncle Jared 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anniversary

It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...