One of my favorite memories of my time in San Clemente CA was watching Ethan face a fear. As we sat on the beach, I asked him if he would go out into the ocean and play in the waves with me. Last year he got tumbled by a wave pretty good and had no desire for that to happen again. Contemplating the waves, he came up to me, “I feel like I’m hyperventilating.” I explained that he was feeling anxiety. I encouraged him to face his fear and invited his three cousins to do the same. Four adults took four nervous kids out. The longer we dove and ducked under waves, the more Ethan began to understand and respect the wave rather than fighting it. He was able to relax and enjoy the tumbling of the waves over him. The next day he asked to go out again and loved playing in the waves for quite awhile. It goes along with my feelings about life. Don’t fight or try to control the waves that come. First do our part, then go with the flow. There will always be time to breathe between each wave so take a deep breath, relax, and trust that everything will be ok. I texted Ashtyn, “I’m on the plane to come to you.” She responded, “Good.” After four full days in California, I’m back in Seattle. It was good to spend time with Morgan and Ethan. It was good for Ashtyn and Jason to have time together. It’s also good for me to be back. I’m ready to stand beside Ashtyn through whatever comes her way and watch firsthand as our little warrior kicks butt.
Thursday, August 2, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Anniversary
It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...
-
My friends daughter interviewed Ashtyn for a paper she had to write. I thought I’d share: Questions for Ashtyn: 1. What type of cancer ...
-
Before going home tomorrow, I need to write about our main man in Seattle, Ashtyn’s oncologist Dr. Adam Lamble! Adam is not only brilliant b...
-
The medical field amazes me with how much is understood despite how complicated and intricate the body is. For the last several days someth...



No comments:
Post a Comment