Thursday, November 1, 2018

Laughter Is The Best Medicine

I remember the first night Ashtyn and I slept at Seattle Children’s Hospital. It was March 7th 2018, after only being in Seattle 24 hours. Everywhere we went was a first and every face was a new face. Close to 9:00 p.m. I remember sitting on the couch while Ashtyn slept when a doctor walked into her room. He approached me and said, “Hi. My name is Dr. Faucette. Whenever I meet a parent I have to ask them a couple hard questions.” A little nervous, I geared up to be questioned. “What do you call a deer with no eyes?” “What?” “No eye deer.” And so it began. Dr. Faucette is an oncologist who works night shifts covering the cancer floor in case needs and emergencies arise. Each night he works, he’ll visit every patient, 40+ at full capacity, and tell jokes. Every shift the jokes are different and based around a theme of the night. This week was the first time Ashtyn felt up to telling him her own jokes. (See Video.)

Please pray that her blood bicarbonate and phosphorus levels will increase and her blood calcium level will decrease. You don’t need to understand what all that means other than, it will totally help get Ashtyn home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anniversary

It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...