Tuesday, November 27, 2018
Small Glimpse
This is a small glimpse of what it was like to walk beside Ashtyn yesterday, a newly 18 year old recovering from a 3rd transplant. The morning started at 9:00 a.m. when her nighttime 1 liter electrolyte fluid infusion was complete. I handed her supplies so she could unhook the IV bag and flush the central line. She ate cereal in bed and waited for me to shower. As soon as I was ready I helped her get dressed, put compression socks on to help her puffy feet, and put my Nike shoes on her since her shoes are currently too small. I grabbed a bag full of daily pills, anti-bacteria wipes to wash any toilet she sat on, barf bag, paperwork telling me the medication and appointment schedule, snacks, drinks, and Cup of Noodle soups for lunch. At 10:50 a.m. she walked to the car using her walker with me right behind her in case she lost balance or her legs gave out. We drove to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance where Ethan wheel chaired her inside to have blood work, a check up with her amazing physician assistant Sarah, nurse Devyn, and Dr. Mallhi. We talked with the nutritionist, got a central line dressing change, and received a platelet transfusion while we ate our soup. At 5 p.m. Ethan wheeled her back to the car. We drove to Walgreens to pick up medications while Ashtyn enjoyed wheel chairing around and shopping with Ethan. We got to the apartment at 6:30 p.m. where medications and dinner were given. Ethan and Ashtyn watched Disney movies and were on their phones while the apartment and medications were organized for the next day. At midnight her IV fluids were started for the night and the to-do list was done. It’s busy recovering from a BMT. This week she has multiple appointments Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. We are extremely grateful for where she is today so it’s impossible to complain. She also doesn’t complain about her complete lack of independence. Ash is wheel-chaired everywhere we go except in the apartment where she uses a walker. I walk behind her every step she takes including the restroom morning and night. She is not fazed by her current situation. We are thrilled with the life and freedom she does have and have total hope for complete recovery in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Anniversary
It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...
-
My friends daughter interviewed Ashtyn for a paper she had to write. I thought I’d share: Questions for Ashtyn: 1. What type of cancer ...
-
Before going home tomorrow, I need to write about our main man in Seattle, Ashtyn’s oncologist Dr. Adam Lamble! Adam is not only brilliant b...
-
The medical field amazes me with how much is understood despite how complicated and intricate the body is. For the last several days someth...






No comments:
Post a Comment