Sunday, December 16, 2018

Shauna

Shauna is the second person we met at Seattle Children’s Hospital. She is the nurse coordinator for the high risk leukemia team and is adorable! I will never forget meeting her March 6th 2018. After we checked in with David and got blood labs, Shauna greeted us with the biggest smile. I noticed immediately her friendly, super fun, laid back vibe as she led us into a conference room to meet the high risk leukemia team from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.. Ashtyn also had a bone marrow aspirate and biopsy scheduled for 2:30 p.m. and we knew it was going to be a long day for her. Having a marrow full of leukemia cells, Ashtyn felt awful and had zero energy. I will never forget Shauna’s thoughtfulness as she noticed Ashtyn’s quiet struggle and quickly brought a bed into the conference room. That act of kindness made all the difference. Ashtyn slept comfortably all day while I talked with her healthcare providers. There’s no way she could have tolerated the day any other way. From that moment on, Shauna has been a bright light for us. Each time we went to clinic she would find us to say “Hi”. We’d always laugh and have such fun conversations. While Ashtyn was in the hospital for 3 1/2 months during her transplant, Shauna would visit us weekly just to check in. There’s something about her that would always bring familiarity into our life. I appreciated the time she spent looking out for us. She is one of my heroes. Ashtyn and I have definitely been changed for the better from many significant interactions during our fight with cancer. I often wonder how I could possibly thank individuals for having such a positive impact on our life and haven’t figured out the answer to that yet.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Anniversary

It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...