Ashtyn and I have been home for three days with two more days to go before heading back to Seattle. It is known that I didn’t want to come home this week. Being in the middle of a chemotherapy round with a girl who tends to get hospitalized, I wanted to play it safe and stay in Seattle, however I have to allow Ashtyn to take the lead in her life. So far things are going well. I personally have felt uneasy at times. Being on a clinical study, the last thing we want is for her to get hospitalized in Salt Lake City and not be able to get chemotherapy in Seattle on Friday. Neuropathy is ever present with some moments that are much more painful than others. I’m getting more and more confident that the nerve pain will stay manageable with the medications we have. I’ve also been watching her temperature, which is something she had a problem with last chemo round. On Sunday her temperature seemed to be trending upwards which really freaked me out. I have gained some comfort realizing her temperature normally fluctuates but I've never taken her temperature often enough to notice. I am becoming more at ease but won’t feel completely calm until she is back in Seattle. Even though she hasn’t felt as physically well as she would like, Ashtyn has really appreciated her time at home. This particular visit home has really renewed both our spirits. It’s as if the emotional and physical challenges of the past three months are behind us and a new chapter is starting. A couple weeks ago I felt deflated, defeated, and frustrated with God. Those feelings are gone. I’m now really excited to see what He has in store. As God does His part and we do ours, I still believe we are going to be amazed. A couple weeks ago Ashtyn felt she was missing out on experiences and that her time was being wasted. She’s now confident there is tremendous purpose in what she is doing and there’s much to get done. I’m really grateful Ashtyn pushed to go home. Please pray she will remain healthy and safe to receive chemotherapy in Seattle on Friday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Anniversary
It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...
-
My friends daughter interviewed Ashtyn for a paper she had to write. I thought I’d share: Questions for Ashtyn: 1. What type of cancer ...
-
Before going home tomorrow, I need to write about our main man in Seattle, Ashtyn’s oncologist Dr. Adam Lamble! Adam is not only brilliant b...
-
The medical field amazes me with how much is understood despite how complicated and intricate the body is. For the last several days someth...

No comments:
Post a Comment