Sunday, September 16, 2018

Accomplishing The Impossible

Happy Sabbath and BMT Day 41. On February 22nd Ashtyn and I sat at Primary Children’s Hospital with oncologist Luke Maese facing her 3rd fight with cancer. He had just spent one week researching, contemplating, and collaborating which led him to say, “For the first time in 5 years, you qualify for a clinical study. It’s a drug called Venetoclax.” I know he was heartbroken to advise, “Ash, you need to go to Seattle.” Her plans to go to Prom, run for student body officer, do volunteer work, and start senior year healthy were taken from her. On top of that, we left home and flew to a city where we didn’t know one person. Dr Maese commented on several occasions, “Ashtyn’s in an impossible situation” and boy was she. Miraculously we began accomplishing the impossible, one situation at a time. 

On August 24th, the day she went to the intensive care unit pushing the edge of needing dialysis and a breathing tube, a package arrived at our home addressed to Ashtyn. It contained a book called, “Accomplishing the Impossible” with a note from the author, “A gift from President Russell M. Nelson.” Handwritten and signed, “To dear Ashtyn! With best wishes. Love, Russell M. Nelson.” What a perfect title from our biggest hero, the president and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I could never list all the impossible situations we have faced over the years. The reason we’ve been able to accomplish the impossible over and over again is because of earthly and heavenly angels, prayer, peace, faith, and hope. Last night President Nelson, his wife Wendy, and President Eyring spoke at the Safeco Field in downtown Seattle. I contemplated leaving the hospital to attend but didn’t want Ashtyn alone. Three friends from Seattle contacted me while at the field. Nadine sang in the choir and offered me a ticket in the section where choir member families sat. Shauna sent videos of the choir and congregation singing where I got to totally feel the vibe. Kylee Facetimed me so I could watch and listen to President Nelson’s talk. I’m so grateful for all the angels that surround us. Today let’s keep believing and praying that whatever needs to happen will happen for the transplant to engraft.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Anniversary

It was 6 years ago today Ashtyn was admitted into the hospital and told she had acute undifferentiated leukemia, the rarest form of leukemi...